Insurance & Your Home-Based Business


Do you currently run a small business out of your home? Do you have a home office set up for the business or store any inventory for this business inside your home?  If your answer is yes to any of these questions, and if you currently rely on your home insurance policy to cover potential risks to your business, you may not be covered in the event of a claim. Also, if you haven’t disclosed your business operations (even if it’s just a home office) under your home insurance policy, you not only risk no coverage for your business assets, but you risk voiding your home insurance coverage all together.

No matter the size of your small business, anyone who runs a business out of their home needs to have separate insurance coverage that is specific to the business. Depending on your industry or business segment, you can either obtain the necessary business coverage as an extension of your existing home insurance policy or obtain a separate insurance policy altogether.

Here are some recommended types of Business Insurance coverage if you currently run a small business out of your home:


Business Property Insurance.

This insurance coverage protects important and/or high value items that are specific to your business, such as laptops, tablets and inventory. If something were to happen to these items while in your home, such as theft, fire, water damage etc., you would claim them under your Business Insurance coverage. If you take these items to job sites, trade shows or away from your home, you should make sure your policy includes an extension for property in transit and at other locations.


Business Liability.

Business Liability coverage protects you in the situation that a suit is brought against you for third party damages or injuries relating to your business. For example, if clients and/or customers visit the premises and if they unfortunately slip or get injured, this coverage would protect your small business from damages.


Errors & Omissions (E&O).

Do you work in real estate or does your job involve filling out legal forms? If you make a mistake on a form, you could be facing a lawsuit. Likewise, if you work in any professional capacity where you give advice, such as an accountant, consultant, architect, counselor and more, a client could allege financial loss from your advice. E&O coverage protects you in such cases.


If you currently run your small business out of your home and don’t have a separate business insurance policy, it is in your best interest to call your broker and inform them. If you have any questions regarding this or if you want to know what your options are, the licensed brokers at Bullfrog Insurance are available to help!






An Important Update About Bullfrog Insurance

Please be aware that due to a change in our operations, Bullfrog Insurance has made the difficult decision to start winding down our business. This means we are no longer accepting new clients.

Are you an existing Bullfrog Insurance client? Rest assured that your coverage remains valid, and you’ll continue to be protected up until your policy expiry date. Watch your inbox for more details from our team.