In recent years, construction companies, tradesman, and rental businesses have been applying stricter security measures while on construction sites. The reasoning behind this? This call for stricter security is the result of an increase in tool and equipment theft that continues to riddle construction sites.
As theft continues to be on the rise, it is important to ensure safety protocols and theft management programs are in place to protect tools and equipment. It is also important to make identification easy, so you can prove ownership in the event your tools and equipment are stolen and end up at a pawn shop or in police custody. To assist in developing successful security measures, here are some helpful tips and recommendations to protect your tools and, in return, your business’ bottom-line.
Tips & Tricks for Preventing Loss.
- Keep all tools and materials in a locked area and out of plain sight, when not in use.
- Paint tools and equipment in bright and distinctive colours to distinguish items and make identification easy.
- Stamp all tools and equipment with a specific identification number or keep a record of their serial numbers in a safe place.
- Keep a record of all tools and equipment you own and ensure that the list is kept up-to-date.
- Make it a priority to keep the jobsite clean and free of unsupervised equipment.
- Store all flammable liquids and products in approved safety containers.
- Take photographs of all tools, equipment and materials, ensuring to capture serial number on these items as well.
If you have any questions regarding the information above or if you would like to discuss your current policy with a broker, our Bullfrog Insurance brokers would be happy to help you out. Bullfrog Insurance also offers affordable insurance coverage on tools, equipment and materials. Contact us today for more information.