As a business owner, you’ve got enough to worry about. That’s why we’ve made getting commercial general liability insurance for Calgary businesses as quick and easy as possible. You get instant coverage, rockstar treatment and no bull.
Get Commercial General Liability Insurance Quotes for Your Calgary Business
We make it fast and easy to get commercial general liability insurance quotes for your Calgary business:
- Enter your profession.
- Provide some contact information.
- Answer a few questions about your business.
- Choose your insurance coverages.
- Review your quotes!
If you’re ready to buy, simply select the commercial general liability insurance quote you’re ready to proceed with, pay online, and you’re insured! We’ll email you your policy documents right away.
Commercial General Liability Insurance Coverage
In Calgary, commercial general liability insurance covers your legal expenses if your business is sued for causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party due to negligent acts. What does that mean exactly?
- Legal expenses include defence costs (like lawyers and expert witnesses), judgement awards and settlements.
- Bodily injury is a physical injury to a third party.
- Property damage is damage or loss caused to property belonging to a third party.
- A third party is anyone not employed by your business like a client, vendor, service provider, or random passerby.
- Negligent acts are acting without due care in a particular circumstance.
Here are a few scenarios where commercial general liability insurance would help your Calgary business:
- A client touring your worksite accidentally injures themselves and sues.
- A delivery person stops at your office to drop off a package, trips over something, gets hurt, and sues.
- A client’s home is accidentally damaged during renovations you’re carrying out, and they sue to recoup their loss.
- A competitor accuses you of harming their reputation in an advertisement you put out.
- Someone walking on the sidewalk during winter, slips, falls and gets hurt. They sue you for negligence.
As you can see, there are lots of reasons your business could be sued for negligence causing property damage or an injury to a third party.
Commercial General Liability Insurance Occurrence Basis
Our Calgary commercial general liability insurance operates on an occurrence basis. This means that you’re covered for events that don’t result in an immediate lawsuit or claim.
For example, let’s say someone slips and falls on your premises. They sue 6 months later – but you’ve retired and closed your business. Your policy would still cover you, even though you may no longer have it as the incident happened during the effective period of your Calgary commercial general liability insurance policy.
What isn’t covered by commercial general liability insurance in Calgary?
Commercial general liability insurance is specifically designed for negligent acts causing property damage or bodily injury to a third party. This means it will not cover anything else, including:
- Property damage to your company’s property
- Injury to employees
- Property damage or injury caused by intentional or criminal acts
- Property damage or injury caused when operating a vehicle
- Negligence causing financial loss
There are insurance products that can protect your business in some of these other scenarios. Contact us for more information!
What is the difference between commercial general liability insurance and other types of liability insurance in Calgary?
Commercial general liability insurance covers property damage and bodily injury caused by acts of negligence whereas other types of liability insurance will cover other types of liability, such as financial loss or privacy breaches.
Why do I need commercial general liability insurance in Calgary?
Although commercial general liability insurance isn’t required by law, there are two main reasons you might want to have this coverage for your Calgary business:
- You have contracts that require commercial general liability insurance, such as with a landlord or client.
- You couldn’t afford covering the costs of a lawsuit out of pocket.
We recommend all Calgary businesses have commercial general liability insurance as it protects you, your employees and your company regardless of your industry.
How much commercial general liability insurance do I need for my Calgary business?
How much commercial general liability insurance your Calgary business needs will depend on your risks. Here are some factors you should consider:
- Your industry
- Your regular business operations
- The likelihood of a lawsuit
- The expected costs of a lawsuit
- Contract requirements for commercial general liability insurance in Calgary
- Your customers, vendors and other third parties that you interact with
- Your annual revenue
- The number of employees you have
- Where you operate
At Bullfrog, we offer a few levels of protection:
- $2 million
- $3 million
- $4 million
- $5 million
The more likely you are to be involved in a lawsuit and the more expensive that lawsuit is likely to be, the more coverage you should have.
How much does commercial general liability insurance cost in Calgary?
Commercial general liability insurance starts at $500 to $1000 in Calgary, depending on the insurance company. Your company’s rates may be higher – the price is based on risk. So, the riskier your business, the higher your rates will be.
Here’s a trades example: A carpenter with $2 million of commercial general liability insurance operating in Calgary has a premium between $500 and $1000. However, a roofer with the same amount of coverage may start at $2500.
Here’s a retail example: A grocer with $250,000 in annual revenue would likely pay around $1000 for $2 million in commercial general liability insurance protection. A retailer selling kids ride-on-cars with the same revenue and coverage could pay $10,000.
Different insurance companies will give different rates which is why Bullfrog Insurance gets you multiple Calgary commercial general liability insurance quotes.
What affects Calgary commercial general liability insurance rates?
The following factors affect commercial general liability insurance rates in Calgary:
- Your annual revenue
- Your business operations
- Your industry
- The number of employees you have
- Where your business is located and where it operates
- Your insurance history
- Your coverage options
Every insurance company calculates their rates differently and may place different emphasis on different factors or include additional ones.
How to get it
Simply fill out our short online questionnaire and we instantly provide you with multiple online insurance quotes based on your needs. All coverage options are standardized between insurance companies so all you have to do is compare insurance quotes based on price!Get a Quote Now
Why our customers love Bullfrog
Our customers love Bullfrog because we make insurance simple. Do it quickly online yourself or talk to one of our knowledgeable insurance brokers. We’re responsive and professional and our insurance coverage is quality and competitively priced.
White Lilac INC. / Alberta
Thank you so much for your assistance, you made the process so painless. I have contacted other brokers before and they made it so complicated. Also, you were far more efficient!
Harassment Solutions INC / BC & AB
Due to a client’s request, and for the first time, I needed Commercial General Liability insurance, but I had no clue where to start. I Googled “CGL” and up came Bullfrog Insurance. Even though my needs were relatively small, due to the client needs, they had to be very specific. Every question I asked was answered by the Bullfrog insurance representative, Raman, who was very helpful. And then when I realized I needed more coverage, she didn’t flinch and let me know she’d get back to me right away. I got great coverage and all of it was done via email. Now I’ll know who to turn to for other small business insurance needs.